< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: A CHALLENGE TO THE WST DISCUSSION GROUP

by John Till

23 August 1999 16:06 UTC

R.C.Burton SHOUTED:

>IN PARTICULAR THERE IS AN ABSENCE OF COHERENT LINKING TRADITIONAL POLYSCI
>TO THESE ISSUES:
>
>-SOCIAL-BIOLOGY
>
>-ECOLOGICAL
>
>-PSYCHO-BIOLOGICAL
>
>-GEOPOLITICAL-ECONOMICS
>
>-TECHNO-SOCIOLOGICAL
>
>THIS MISSING INFORMATION/ANALYSIS IS PRINCIPALLY EXPRESSED IN THE >DISCRETE
>RAMBLINGS OF VARIOUS CONTRIBUTORS; WHEREIN NOTHING IS EVER >LINKED TO
>ANYTHING ELSE.

If you want to see these connections, read science fiction. In particular,
Greg Benford's *Foundation's Fear* looks at the relationship between
"sociobiology" and long-term, large-scale social change [the demise and
future rise of the Galactic Empire]. He(or rather one of his
characters)identifies certain primate behaviors that can be generalized to
build a model of large scale, long term social change.

In the real world, we are a long way from knowing whether sociobiology has
much to offer. It seems to have some value for looking at simple
genetic/behavioral systems (i.e., "social" insects) and may shed some light
on overall evolutionary trends (e.g. "altrusim"; as well as how the origins
of sexual reproduction led to an evolutionary "arms race" with certain
"gendered" behavioral implications for vertebrates).

Of course, very little human behavior to date has been tied to specific
genes. It's unclear to what extent it will be. The literature on
schizophrenia is a good case-in-point. We know schizophrenia has a genetic
component, but apparently environmental factors are relatively strong
determinants in the onset of the disease. Is there a "gene" "for"
schizophrenia? I guess that depends on how teleological you want to get.

And given the complex nature of treatment for the disease, the whole
question of genetics vs. environment makes little difference if you are
dealing with a family member with the disease. The drugs are important, but
so is a supportive environment for both the person with the disease as well
as their caregivers/family members, the availability of public assistance
and medicaid (to pay for housing, medical care, food, the drugs, etc.).

John Everett Till