< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: cult of impotence -- globally

by Richard N Hutchinson

12 July 1999 19:35 UTC

The point about the state not being powerless is a good one.  On the real
income/wealth distribution, I'm not sure what the correct figures are
(though I know that the relative gap has increased enormously since 1980),
but I wonder about the propaganda effect of saying there is less
inequality.  If the problem is not as severe, then the need for action is
less severe.

There are several recent publications that make a similar point about the
state.  One is "The Myth of the Powerless State" by Linda Weiss, published
by Cornell.

RH