< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: the True and the Good

by Richard N Hutchinson

04 July 1999 02:05 UTC

Elson-

If you agree that people other than yourself (or marxists of whom you
approve) can be rational, and that rationality is not the same as
morality, then I guess we agree!

My point in bringing utility maximization into the discussion was simply
that there are multiple ways to define rationality.  You and I both reject
utility maximization on *normative, moral* grounds.  However, you have
also argued that the Ought can be derived from the Is by saying that once
a relation has been defined as exploitative it follows that it is not
rational.  It may be immoral, by our definition, but that does not equate
to irrational.

I take it to be a general sociological principle that most people under
most circumstances operate on the basis of a combination of self-interest
and some value system:  call it ideology or culture.  Because we never
have perfect information we all "satisfice" (Herb Simon), but more
importantly than simply falling short of maximizing self-interest, we make
choices based on a priori assumptions that follow from our values.
Neither sociologists or marxists are exempt from this principle, and thus
they should be cautious when tarring religious people with the brush of
irrationalism.

RH