< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: ANYT THOUGHTS ON AMERICAN PBS SERIES

by John Till

01 July 1999 16:20 UTC

Hi Elson!!!

Elson wrote:
>I saw it too.  My impression was how stupid the comparison was:
>comparing religious fanatics in the US (who support the US
>oppression of people in the Middle East)

Don't forget the roots of Christian fundamentalism in the antisystemic
movements of the Protestant Reformation.

Well, having lived in the Midwest for a couple of years now, I think we need
to be careful to acknowledge our own subject position when characterizing
Christian fundamentalists as "religious fanatics" in contrast to
"Modernism" never really caught on here.

In Indiana, I know a Christian fundamentalist who won a public welfare seat
(Township Trustee) on the theme of family values and hard work. The
Democratic Party had controlled Trusteeships for decades. Typically, these
elected welfare officials (who decide who gets and doesn't get the
dole)never showed up for work, meaning that families who needed welfare
assistance generally didn't get it.

After this guy got elected, we finally had an accountable person who
families could turn to for (some) financial assistance, subject to
predictable (as opposed to arbitrary) guidelines.

BTW, has anyone seen the new book on the failure of the "religious right" by
Cal Thomas and Dr. James Dobson? They are claiming that Pat Robertson's
organization is the "revolution betrayed," and that Christians should pursue
the family values agenda in the realm of everyday life. Shades of 1968 for
the religious right.

John Till