< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

RE: Social services and mutual aid

by Purcell, Trevor

30 June 1999 14:53 UTC

Good question, John.  I too am interested in the WS perspective on mutual
aid and non-governmental social services.  For the past couple of years I
have been research a few mutual aid-type institutions (rotating savings and
credit assoc.; reciprocal labour exchange; friendly societies) in the
Caribbean, and at some point I will have to tackle the WS perspective on
them.  For the moment I am considering critical counterposition of WS and
rational choice (motivations for individual versus collective action)
perspectives in explanations how cooperative, self-help institutions change.
Therefore, I will appreciate the answers to your questions, if you could
share them with me.  I would also like to ask to be referred to examples of
case studies on the Caribbean-Latin American region.

Thanks...

Trevor Purcell
Depts: Africana Studies & Anthropology
University of South Florida