< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

ANYT THOUGHTS ON AMERICAN PBS SERIES "THE PEOPLES CENTURY" ?

by RANDALL BURTON

20 June 1999 18:42 UTC

Well, as hopelessly interesting as the yugo mess may be, are there any thoughts about the American PBS series "The People's Century".

The global scope of the programs seems to be some sort of feel good revisionism about how popular movements have positively altered the course of WS pathology.  I can envision history and social studies teachers everywhere programming VCR's to entomb this stuff for future student indoctrination.  After all PBS says it's true.

My conjecture is that popular movements of this century (largely a zero sum game of the politics of identity) have in the main provided a relief valve that has reduced the power elite's costs/efforts to maintain social control.

Any observations would be most appreciated.

Randall Burton