< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Which Marxism? (fwd)

by elson

09 June 1999 17:56 UTC

 elson,

> You seem to believe that because the world did not become a mirror image
> of 19th century England or lose small commodity production entirely that
> Marx has been proven wrong. These points are what are strawdogs.
> You drag in Bill Warren in to the discussion and suggest that his analysis
> is exemplary of Marxist orthodoxy. As Petras has noted, not Marx, Lenin,
> Luxemburg, or Bukharin would lend their weight to Warren's claims.
>
> Andy

I'm not sure what you mean by "Marx has been proven wrong."  Was Marx wrong
on this particular issue?  Yes.  The bulk of his work does not suggest that
he thought that capitalism as a social system would create a stratified
structure of inequality at the interstate level.   Further, was Marx correct
about everything he wrote about?  No.  Was Marx a great guy?  Of course.

Warren does represent an orthodox Marxist perspective or genre, and has
certainly been described as part of that genre in reviews of his work.  That
is, there is a significant literature behind him.

You may not agree with these interpretations of Marx.   But they are hardly
strawdogs.  If they were, people, including Petras, would not have
responded.

elson