< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Which Marxism? (fwd)

by md7148

07 June 1999 00:15 UTC

>On Sun, 6 Jun 1999, elson wrote:

>>orthodox Marxist view.  SCP in the core doesn't fit with KM's
expectations
>>of the spread of factory wage labor.

>First, what do you mean by "orthodox." Second, in what way does SCP not
>fit with Marx's expectations? As I recall he recognized the fact of small
>commodity production and forecasted that in the future it would diminish.
>Does SCP dominate today over industrial production? Is SCP the dynamic
>logic of the system? If it isn't then I don't see how its presence
>presents a problem for Marx.

i agree. SCP was a phase in the development of capitalism, and marx
predicted that it would "diminish", as it happened historically in
western europe. SCP is an intermediary stage essential to capitalist
development. Maurice Dobb suggests that, in this phase, the _relations of
production_ may change whereas the _productive forces_ may retain their
medieval charecter. however, this is a mode of production that is "already
in a process of transformation into a capitalist one". This is a quote
from IW's book (second volume)

Mine Aysen Doyran
phd candidate
dept of pol scie