< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Magna Charta of the World System

by gernot kohler

02 June 1999 23:19 UTC

for whatever it is worth I second the mortion (proposals) by Professor
Frank, entitled "Political Anti-NATO War Praxis & Program" (2 June 1999).
There is an interesting historical precedent/parallel for this kind of
resistance - the Magna Charta.

On 15 June 1215 the rebellious English barons, fed up with
the arbitrary rule and military adventures of their king, pressured King
John to accept a Magna Charta Libertatum (Great Bill of Rights). The
autocratic and adventurous king is subjected to law and can be forced to
obey it; foundation of a barons committee for the organization of
resistance; numerous detailed provisions in order to abolish abuses by the
king; beginning of English constitutionalism (from my history book). Another
important idea which can be applied at the world-system level.

gk