< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: pie and getting the DOL straight (fwd)

by Jeffrey L. Beatty

02 June 1999 18:16 UTC

At 09:55 AM 6/2/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I don't understand why you continue to use the term "internal dynamics" (of
>any part of the system) after just recognizing that all change is
>"endogenous."  This means, to repeat repeatedly, that change in any part is
>a consequence of change throughout the whole, including that part.  And
>again, the basis for this argument is the empirical historical
>interrelations of the part through the division of labor and the interstate
>structure that the DOL spans.  This is the reason that your argument is a
>non-starter.  An argument similar to yours was made by Stern but with
>reference to the periphery, which Wallerstein demolished in an interesting
>debate.
>
>> Turning to the questions that have emerged over the last 48 hours or so:
>> think it is true to say that looked at from the point of view of the
>> world-system, there is no "exogenous growth" since by definition all
>growth
>> within the world-system is determined by the internal dynamics of the
>> system itself.
>> The question I was attempting to raise is whether or not the core states
>> themselves can grow on the basis of their internal dynamics.  World-system
>> theory clearly says no.  The argument I tried to make, on the basis of my
>> criticism of the notion of the declining rate of profit, was that there is
>> no adequate theory of why this must be the case.

The reason, very simply, is that if there is no satisfactory answer to the
question of why endogenous growth in the core is not possible, world-system
theory itself is a non-starter.  If endogenous growth in the core _is_
possible, the core need not exploit the periphery (it is logically possible
that it _might_ do so, but there would be no necessity of its doing so).

I would be happy to see a citation of the debate you mention.

--

Jeffrey L. Beatty
Doctoral Student

(o) 614/292-2880
(h) 614/688-0567

Email:  Beatty.4@osu.edu

"Sometimes a scream is better than a thesis."
                         Ralph Waldo Emerson