< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Request

by Veronika Ziegelmayer

01 June 1999 14:11 UTC

Dear list members,
As a German student of sociology I have a request referring to the
topic of my theses. I intend to write on "The role of racism for the
emergence / development of US capitalism based on world system
theory". As this could be a project for some years and I have only six
month for writing and the theses shouldn't be longer than 80-120 pages
I propose to strengthen on some historical main points:
1. Legalizing of slavery
2. The Civil War and the abolition of slavery
3. The position of the labor movement / unions on racism
4. The punishment industry

I am 'a beginner' of world system theory and not sure, if my idea fits
into this theory. I know the book of Balibar / Wallerstein: Race,
Nation, Classe (German edition), where racism is outlined as one basic
element of a capitalist system, but I couldn't find literature, where
this position is drawn up detailed referring to a special historical
period or to a country.
Therefore I would like to know what list members think about this
theme and maybe you could recommend special books.
Thanks a lot
Veronika Ziegelmayer
Veronika Ziegelmayer
Eberhardstr. 33