< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

use and exchange value

by Dag P Macleod

26 May 1999 20:04 UTC

I was wondering if anyone can point me to an operationalization of the
concepts of use and exchange value. I realize that one appropriately
Marxist response might be to say that these are relational concepts that
cannot be understood independent of one another. However, I'm intrigued by
the extent to which advertising frequently emphasizes the use value of
commodities and the uses produced by corporate practices given that the
underlying motive of production under capitalism is not the production of
use values but, rather, exchange values.

Any recommendations of studies that operationalize and provide empirical
referents of these concepts would be welcome.

Thanks,

Dag MacLeod
Ph.D. Candidate
Department of Sociology