< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Korea, bad policy or victim ?

by Institute for Global Futures Research (IGFR)

19 May 1999 12:59 UTC

In a recent post responding to Pat Gunning on neoliberal global capitalism,
I mentioned that Korea, I had heard, had managed to retain a respectable
level of equity throughout its phase of economic growth.

Below is a quote on the current state of things in Korea, which we forget,
now no longer 'newsworthy'.

What grave errors did economic policy-makers commit that can explain
the disasterous economic contraction ?  None more serious than in any
of the OECD countries I suggest.  Conclusion - the sometimes
radical economic contractions (with disasterous social consequences) are
an intrinsic feature of neoliberal global capitalism.

Can we adjust the system to avoid this ?  Or do we need a new system ?
If we maintain a steady course, are these radical economic contractions
likely to diminish, or actually become more severe ?

"In 18 months," said Kang Sang Goo of South Korea's union-linked Policy
and Information Centre, "we've gone from almost
zero unemployment to 3, 65-million people without jobs and tens of
thousands of people homeless. The suicide rate among
young women is catastrophic."

Regards,
Geoff Holland