< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

standard of living?

by Alan Spector

18 May 1999 21:28 UTC

Pat Gunning writes:

While you ponder this question, let me suggest that you consider the
very substantial increases in standards of living that have occurred in
countries like Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Malaysia, the
countries of the European Union, the United States, and the gulf oil
countries. These are some of the major participants in the international

trading system. I assume that you have something else in mind when you
write about the world economy.

The standard of living of the average family in the U.S. is up compared
to 1945. And 1919. And 1776.
But it is down compared to 1980. Some estimates are that it is at the
level it was back in the middle 1960's. And this doesn't factor in the
impact of multiple wage earners in families. I can't speak for some of
the other countries listed, although much of the so-called "Third World"
is worse off than 100 years ago, and most of Eastern Europe isn't doing
too well either..I'm sure Japan is better off than 1945 also. Maybe even
better of than 1980. But capitalism is a zero-sum game, despite the
silly optimism of the "end of history" crowd. And big powers eventually
bump heads. First economically. Then politically. Then militarily.

Alan Spector