< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: humanitarian intervention in the world economy

by Pat Gunning

17 May 1999 20:41 UTC

gernot kohler wrote:

> The world economy does not
> conform to the human rights code -- the world economy violates the human
> rights code in many ways, notably, it violates Article 25 of the Universal
> Declaration of Human Rights which states that every human being has an
> inalienable right to an adequate standard of living. The world market, as
> currently constructed, is thus the greatest human rights violation of all.
> It is responsible for fatalities -- not in the thousands, but in the
> millions. Check the statistics if you don't believe it. NATO countries must
> therefore reOrient their zeal for humanitarian intervention and concentrate
> it on a thorough reform of the world economy. In short, abolish global
> neoliberalism, implement global economic human rights. That would be a
> humanitarian intervention worthy of its name.

Gernot, I am not sure what you mean by a world economy. Perhaps you
could explain. Also, you might tell what, in your view, is the
alternative way to guarantee everyone a right to an adequate standard of
living. It is one thing to advocate destruction. It is another to find
an adequate replacement for what has been destroyed.

While you ponder this question, let me suggest that you consider the
very substantial increases in standards of living that have occurred in
countries like Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Malaysia, the
countries of the European Union, the United States, and the gulf oil
countries. These are some of the major participants in the international
trading system. I assume that you have something else in mind when you
write about the world economy.
--
Pat Gunning, Sultan Qaboos University, Oman
Web pages on Subjectivism, Democracy, Taiwan, Ludwig von Mises,