< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: STATEMENT BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT (fwd)

by Jeffrey L. Beatty

13 May 1999 21:13 UTC

At 02:13 PM 5/12/99 -0400, you wrote:

>Pat Gunning asks:

>>Why in the world would NATO or the U.S. want to provoke China?

>Bill Clinton would not want to provoke China. But what about those

>elements in the Pentagon and the CIA who are bemoaning the demise of
the

>Cold War. it is hard to get your hands on a huge chunk of the US
federal

>government revenues in a world with no credible boogeyman.  And what

>about the intellectual tendency represented by Political Scientist Sam

>Huntington, whose Clash of Civilizations posits a new world divide

>between the rational and democratic defenders of the European

>Enlightenment and the anti-European Chinese and Moslems.

>Maybe this is too paranoid. But the consequence of the "mistake" seems

>to be the creation of a coalition in the Security Council between the

>Chinese and the Russians. Now that could be a plausible boogeyman.

>    I am hoping something good can come of all this in the way of a

>reformation of the United Nations that can deal in a just and
legitimate

>way with problems of state violence and violations of human rights. In

>the mean time STOP THE BOMBING.

>chris chase-dunn

Professor Chase-Dunn:

I'm skeptical of these sorts of "military industrial complex" arguments
as they apply to Kosovo.  From where I sit, it looks to me like the
military itself has been at best a reluctant participant in U.S.
involvement in Yugoslavia.  Note Gen. Colin Powell's (1992) publicly
expressed concerns about the difficulties of any available military
strategy (_Atlanta Journal and Constitution_  Oct. 2, 1992).
Furthermore, individuals like former Defense Secretary Caspar Weinberger
and rather conservative think-tanks that I would expect to be associated
with the "military industrial complex" have been either ambivalent or
downright critical of the administration's policy (cf. Weinberger 1999;
Center for Security Policy 1999).

As for Samuel P. Huntington's "intellectual tendency," is it logical that
believers in a "clash of civilizations" would engage in a war in support
of Albanian and Bosnian Muslims who are fighting Orthodox Christians in
the first place?

<center>