< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: lumps in the gravy -- uneveness and interimperialist war

by Pat Gunning

08 May 1999 09:43 UTC

Alan Spector wrote:

> I tend to agree with Chris and others on the continuing saliency of
> inter-imperialist war.

> All of this is admittedly abstract. We need particular data, not
> dialectical speculation, to help figure out which scenario is more
> likely to develop. But we should avoid narrow mechanistic models which
> don't take stagnation, limits, feedback loops, structural fragmentation,
> and the maturing of different contradictions at different times.
> Specifically, it appears that the U.S. will be the center of one
> imperialist group, perhaps with Britain. Russia will probably be the
> center of another. India MAY ally with Russia. China might wait things
> out for a while, but with 25% of the world's population, cannot be
> ignored; they might oppose Russia-- might ally with it. Japan also might
> wait it out, but would not necessarily be allied with the U.S. center. A
> center based on political-Islam could emerge as a cluster of powers,
> perhaps tactically allied with the U.S. in the short term, perhaps not.
> And of course there's Germany, the industrial and economic engine of
> Europe, consolidating its position as head of the European Union -- it's
> not a given that they will forever ally with the U.S. especially where
> competition for mid=east and Caspian Sea oil is concerned. Other
> countries are even making serious inroads in Chase
> Manhattan/Rockefeller's own private playground, Latin America, where
> German, Japanese, Italian and (surprise!) Chinese investments are taking
> root and doubtless building political and maybe military alliances
> towards the future. Disintegration is one process/ agglomeration is
> another. This is not the first time in history that mighty empires fell.
> And new ones emerged, didn't they?

I tend to think that my children and grandchildren will be living on a
different planet, perhaps in a different solar system or part of the
universe, by the time the "inter-imperialist war," whatever that is,
arrives. Probably, however, they will be living in a different reality.
Where are the mighty empires today? In Yugoslavia, Iraq, North Korea?
--
Pat Gunning, Sultan Qaboos University, Oman
Web pages on Subjectivism, Democracy, Taiwan, Ludwig von Mises,