< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Fw: human rights and national sovereignty/ examples oflocalist groups

by UPF

04 May 1999 06:54 UTC

Mark Douglas Whitaker wrote:

> Examples? Unsure if you would characterize them as 'anarchists:'

        I think the characterisation is based on the relationship between balanced
anarchy and self-governing, cooperative local entities.

>         There's a pan-European group, with I think, German origins (NEGG, I
> think, or some arrangement of these letters)--groups of networks communities
> that are intentionally connected with 'work-study' like encouragments by
> members to take up jobs occassionally in the 'outer' world (meaning a world
> of privitized individualism). Last I heard they were expanding their network
> into the United States, in Florida.
>         There are the Acorn communities in the United States which are sort
> of cut from the same cloth.

        Do you have any URLs for related web sites?

> At 10:15 PM 5/3/99 EDT, you wrote:
> >
> >In a message dated 5/3/99 10:41:32 PM, upf@upf.org writes:
> >
> >>I'd be curious to know of at least one successful example of practical
> >>implementation of this idea. It needs just a trifle - radical change of human
> >>nature.
> >
> >There have been many examples of anarchistic communities and groups. I was
> >involved with Food Not Bombs of San Francisco for 8 years. This group of all
> >volunteers operates successfully. Cooking and serving free vegetarian meals
> >to the homeless every night since 1988, even while being arrested over 3000
> >times for this activity. Christiana, a community of 5000 in Copenhagen has
> >survived gov't. attacks for almost 30 years successfully. There was a great
> >anarchist community in Spain that was crushed with the help of Hitler in
> >1939. There are many,many other examples. It could only work on a global
> >scale, if the groundwork is laid before the fall of civilization(euphemism
> >for barbarity) as we know it. Then, it would be possible to transform the
> >paradigm painlessly and quickly, once and for all. One must surmise that
> >everyone carries in their heart this dream.

        I am still not convinced that anarchistic/anarchism are the correct words
to describe what we are look at in terms of what we want to create for a global
system.

> >As far as "human character", this is IMHO very unsophisticated to assume
> >human character is bad. Anyone knows that anyone can behave as a saint or a
> >devil and anything in between from moment to moment. Our current society
> >based on the narrow view in which all decisions are based on the "bottom
> >line", diminishes all that is of grace and beauty in our existence. The
> >result is a degraded world on every level that is not sustainable. Alienation
> >is the result, which leads to the dysfunctional behavior that you
> >characterize as the way humans are. Put humans under conditions that are
> >natural and fair, and you will see beautiful people.

        So what we are talking about is true people empowerment?
        I am familiar with a movement to create a permanent Global Peoples
Assembly.
        Would that be something in the right direction?
        Their web site is http://www.ourvoices.org

--
                                                 Your Friend in Peace,
                                                        Glen Nuttall

"Courageous Knowledgeable People,
               United Compassionate World,
                              Committed Responsible Future"

"Out of Respect for Diversity
           comes Recognition of Fundamental Freedoms,
                      Individual Rights,
                                 and Legitimate Responsibilities"

"In the common interest of a Lasting World Peace
                      through a Unified Planetary Assembly"