< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Visa Fraud

by Judi Kessler

03 May 1999 01:44 UTC

My genuine sympathies.
However, 1) you allowed a virtual stranger to accompany you from bar to
bar and 2) you signed credit card bills you couldn't read in a currency
with which you were not familiar. This makes no sense whatsoever, whether
traveling in Istabul, New York City, or Santa Barbara, CA.

On Sun, 2 May 1999, Majid Tehranian wrote:

> PRESS RELEASE
>
> TRAVELLERS BEWARE:
> VISA AND MERRILL LYNCH PARTICIPATE IN INTERNATIONAL FRAUD
>

> May 1, 1999
> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
>
> For further information, please contact
> Professor Majid Tehranian
> Tel.: 808-988-9563; 808-955-8231; 808-956-3353
> Fax: 808-988-4483
> Email: majid@hawaii.edu
>

> In every major tourist city around the world, there are numerous traps
> waiting for the innocent tourists to fall into. That is partly the cost of
> world travel. However, when major financial institutions such as Merrill
> Lynch and Visa International, knowingly participate in the fraud, the
> issue is a cause for alarm.
>
> I have been a loyal customer of Merrill Lynch Cash Management Account for
> the past 20 years. I have never contested a single visa charge. But on
> March 1, 1999, I was defrauded of about $4000 for the price of a beer and
> a cup of coffee in Istanbul, Turkey.  I had no choice but to contest this
> outrage.  After two months of haggling with Merrill Lynch over the visa
> charges, despite previous assurances, Merrill Lynch and Visa International
> have refused to challenge the international fraud in which they are
> participating with the deceitful and extortionist establishments involved
> in this case.
>
> I arrived in Istanbul on the late evening of February 28.  Because of jet
> lag, I could not sleep. I decided to take a stroll in front of my hotel,
> the Marmara, in the early hours of March 1. A smiling young man by the
> alleged name of Hassan Kivan, who introduced himself as a tourist guide,
> befriended me and asked to have a drink with him at a nearby bar. With his
> broken English, he seemed earnest and sincere.  He took me to two places
> that night at which I had a beer and a cup of coffee for which I paid in
> cash.   However, the managers claimed that the cash is not enough and
> asked for a credit card.  Assuming that I could always put a stop payment
> on it, I gave them my Merrill Lynch Visa card. They soon came back with a
> small slip that I could not read in the dark and, under duress, had to
> sign.  I left Hassan completely exhausted and dejected. But I asked him to
> write his name and phone number on the back of one of the visa charges.
> The next morning when I woke up, I wanted to know how much the two
> establishments have charged me. Since Turkish Lira is a highly inflated
> currency and the rate of exchange is about 360,000 TL to one U. S. dollar,
> I was thoroughly confused as to how much I was paying. Besides, the salons
> were dark and the men threatening.  To my astonishment, I discovered that
> the first establishment had charged $1803 for a beer, and the second one
> had charged $1995 for a cup of coffee.
>
> I immediately called up Mr. Phillip Knorr, my Merrill Lynch Executive
> Accountant in Honolulu, to let him know of the fraud and to request a stop
> [...]

Judi A. Kessler
Department of Sociology
University of California, Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA 93106
Office:
Institute for Social, Behavioral & Economic Research
(805) 893-5427
6500jk@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu