< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Demo....cracy, Demo....crazy and the PSAT

by John Walsh

30 April 1999 11:13 UTC

John Walsh D.Phil.,
Research Fellow,
Institute for Research into International Competitiveness (IRIC),
Curtin University of Technology,
PO Box U1987,
Perth  WA 6845.

Tel:  +61-8-9266-4257
Fax: +61-8-9266-2872
EMail: walshj@cbs.curtin.edu.au

Webpage:  http://www.cbs.curtin.edu.au/IRIC/

>>> Pat Gunning <jgunning@squ.edu.om> 04/30/99 06:10pm >>>

> >> Since World War II, compiled by historian William Blum:
Snip things we've seen before.

The implications that list members have taken from this question seem to
disregard the effects of bombing on countries like South Korea, Taiwan,
The Philippines, and India. These countries were not themselves bombed
but they were the beneficiaries of bombing. Today they have vibrant
democracies.

South Korea was bombed, albeit when temporarily under the control of the North and allies. The quality of the democracies involved has been and in some cases still is variable, if measured against some western model, that is.
I assume here that it is meaningful to consider a concept such as "quality of democracy."

Snip reasonable point--
Pat Gunning, Sultan Qaboos University, Oman
Web pages on Subjectivism, Democracy, Taiwan, Ludwig von Mises,
Austrian Economics, and my University Classes
http://www2.cybercities.com/g/gunning/welcome.htm
http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/barclay/212/welcome.htm