< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Tausch recent documents - answer to queries and criticism

by Austrian Embassy

20 April 1999 09:50 UTC

------=_NextPart_000_0089_01BE8B23.FA144060

I am not a moralist, and I am in an official function.=20

Those, who bothered to read my recent quotations from documents from Le =
Monde, Osservatore Romano, UNDP and the US Dep of State own official =
websites, will - hope - have drawn their own conclusions. What was in my =
mind was the following - that=20

1) by comparing the human rights record by say, 1.1.99, the presently =
bombarded country, according to the very US State Department documents, =
was not much worse or better than a country which is a member of NATO, =
host to a number of airbases and since 1945 a staunch ally of the West =
along the  axis from Washington via London to the Middle East

2) as I have also shown in my recent Globalization and European =
Integration at

http://csf.colorado.edu/wsystems

Books - Website documents, AGF is indeed right on one major point - the =
Bretton Woods institutions in the 1980s contributed to the following =
crisis in that part of the world. The UNDP text on the bombarded country =
is paramount reading for all who really want to voice an informed =
opinion on the subject. It is available on the net, but the UNDP =
recently changed their address. Just search via YAHOO for UNDP
3) recent Le Monde Diplomatique texts show very well, I think, what =
Immanuel Wallerstein quite correctly foresaw - Europe must build up its =
own security architecture and a European Army, while present events =
spell the danger of a continuation, and indeed, deepening, of the =
Atlantic dimension of NATO at the cost of a European dimension. The =
bombing campaign could spell the danger of a destabilization of Europe, =
the Euro in favor of the $ and the Atlantic axis=20
4) my recent Le Monde D. documents also show - and here am in deep =
division with AGF, that we have to talk about the long-term human rights =
violations (more than 3 million refugees from the Bosnian war) eminating =
from all parties in the Balkan slaughter house - and not just one or two =
sides alone
5) recently, eminent moralists and scholars, like Marek Edelman, the =
last living commander of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising, Jona Goldhagen, and =
Andy Markovits, have come out in favor of the bombing - as they say, for =
humanistic purposes. Knowing Marek for many years, I just cannot brush =
aside his wisdom. But I agree here with AGF and I am fundamentally =
opposed to this line of argument, but not, because military means as =
such cannot be applied, when human lives are threatened, but because the =
wrong military means at a wrong time and by the wrong actors (UNITED =
NATIONS and not NATO) were applied
6) to the particular colleague from Kansas State University, who has let =
me know, that should send no e-mails anymore (presumably, to be silent) =
I have to answer that among the international actors on the scene, the =
Vatican - in terms of proposed solutions - is not too far from reality. =
It is time to stop the bombing, it is time for diplomacy, and it is time =
to save human life and life in general. The Italian article from =
Osservatore Romano indeed was an excellent piece of observation of the =
scene spelling out the main problem - technobombing hits unarmed =
civilians
7) the problems of the "Third pillar" hinted at in the Chossudovsky =
article, are there, but they are omnipresent on all sides. Just read =
what the US State Department itself has to say about the heroin trade to =
Europe.=20

Please do not forget that the full archive of Le Monde Diplomatique - =
alas in French - is available free of charge from their Website. I love =
discussion, but I hate wrong arguments, and nearly everybody in the =
debate at the WSN at one end or the other, committed graver errors, =
which must be corrected in the light of solid evidence available from =
LMD, the UNDP etc. Whether Washington now decides to bomb its own =
allies, I do not know, but judging from what they say on their own =
websites, there are many wrongdoers around the world. Just read that =
chapter on forced resettlements in Eastern Anatolia.

Expressing my own private opinions, and implicating in no way my =
government

Arno Tausch

------=_NextPart_000_0089_01BE8B23.FA144060

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>

<META content=3D'"MSHTML 5.00.0910.1309"' name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am not a moralist, and I am in an =
official=20
function. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Those, who bothered to read my recent =
quotations=20
from documents from Le Monde, Osservatore Romano, UNDP and the US Dep of =
State=20
own official websites, will - hope - have drawn their own conclusions. =
What was=20
in my mind was the following - that </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1) by comparing the human rights record =
by say,=20
1.1.99, the presently bombarded country, according to the very US State=20
Department documents, was not much worse or better than a country which =
is a=20
member of NATO, host to a number of airbases and since 1945 a staunch =
ally of=20
the West along the  axis from Washington via London to the Middle=20
East</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2) as I have also shown in my recent =
Globalization=20
and European Integration at</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://csf.colorado.edu/wsystems">http://csf.colorado.edu/wsystem=
s</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Books - Website documents, AGF is =
indeed right on=20
one major point - the Bretton Woods institutions in the 1980s =
contributed to the=20
following crisis in that part of the world. The UNDP text on the =
bombarded=20
country is paramount reading for all who really want to voice an =
informed=20
opinion on the subject. It is available on the net, but the UNDP =
recently=20
changed their address. Just search via YAHOO for UNDP</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>3) recent Le Monde Diplomatique texts =
show very=20
well, I think, what Immanuel Wallerstein quite correctly foresaw - =
Europe must=20
build up its own security architecture and a European Army, while =
present events=20
spell the danger of a continuation, and indeed, deepening, of the =
Atlantic=20
dimension of NATO at the cost of a European dimension. The bombing =
campaign=20
could spell the danger of a destabilization of Europe, the Euro in favor =
of the=20
$ and the Atlantic axis </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>4) my recent Le Monde D. documents also =
show - and=20
here am in deep division with AGF, that we have to talk about the =
long-term=20
human rights violations (more than 3 million refugees from the Bosnian =
war)=20
eminating from all parties in the Balkan slaughter house - and not just =
one or=20
two sides alone</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>5) recently, eminent moralists and =
scholars, like=20
Marek Edelman, the last living commander of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising, =
Jona=20
Goldhagen, and Andy Markovits, have come out in favor of the bombing - =
as they=20
say, for humanistic purposes. Knowing Marek for many years, I just =
cannot brush=20
aside his wisdom. But </FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I agree here =
with AGF and I=20
am fundamentally opposed to this line of argument, but not, because =
military=20
means as such cannot be applied, when human lives are threatened, but =
because=20
the wrong military means at a wrong time and by the wrong actors (UNITED =
NATIONS=20
and not NATO) were applied</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>6) to the particular colleague from =
Kansas State=20
University, who has let me know, that should send no e-mails anymore=20
(presumably, to be silent) I have to answer that among the international =
actors=20
on the scene, the Vatican - in terms of proposed solutions - is not too =
far from=20
reality. It is time to stop the bombing, it is time for diplomacy, and =
it is=20
time to save human life and life in general. The Italian article from=20
Osservatore Romano indeed was an excellent piece of observation of the =
scene=20
spelling out the main problem - technobombing hits unarmed=20
civilians</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>7) the problems of the &quot;Third =
pillar&quot;=20
hinted at in the Chossudovsky article, are there, but they are =
omnipresent on=20
all sides. Just read what the US State Department itself has to say =
about the=20
heroin trade to Europe. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Please do not forget that the full =
archive of Le=20
Monde Diplomatique - alas in French - is available free of charge from =
their=20
Website. I love discussion, but I hate wrong arguments, and nearly =
everybody in=20
the debate at the WSN at one end or the other, committed graver errors, =
which=20
must be corrected in the light of solid evidence available from LMD, the =
UNDP=20
etc. Whether Washington now decides to bomb its own allies, I do not =
know, but=20
judging from what they say on their own websites, there are many =
wrongdoers=20
around the world. Just read that chapter on forced resettlements in =
Eastern=20
Anatolia.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Expressing my own private opinions, and =
implicating=20
in no way my government</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Arno Tausch</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0089_01BE8B23.FA144060--