< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Viruses and "illegal" Musings

by Tanya P. Henauer

08 April 1999 05:11 UTC

Excuse my curiosity, but before it kills me or my files... What is the
"happy99" virus? Because I almost clicked on that little attachment box out
of sheer habit. Thankfully only days ago I adjusted my browser preferences
not to open objects in line anymore!
You know I can't help a little twinge of excitement, kind of like a little
kid that is told not to play with fire... I am soooo tempted now that you
told us this attachment actually is a virus. Curious thing that...

Do you suppose that is culturally determined, or do all human cultures have
reckless individuals like myself, that always became more intrigued about
things once they are illegal?
Mind you I never had the guts to try illegal drugs either, no matter how
often they were offered by kids at high school, nor did I ever get drunk
when visiting North America while still under age. Though strangely the
only time I was ever tempted to indulge in too much alcohol, was the places
where it was illegal for me to do so. Growing up in Switzerland, where
there is no drinking age, my family taught me to drink responsibly from an
early age.

Why do some of us find illegal things more intriguing and enticing than
mainstream stuff?
And I wonder how many people like myself actually cross that line into
illegality, and how High the stakes are when they do. Do you believe we are
more likely to "commit the crime" when the punishment is severe, or when it
is negligible??

Oh I forgot, we were talking of computer viruses... so what drives someone
to create one of those beasties??

Tanya

--
****************************
Tanya P. Henauer

mailto:Tanya@AuroraNow.org
OR mailto:S2@AuroraNow.org
for information on:
-AuroraNow! Foundation (USA 501 (c) 3)
-White Raven Ranch Project
-"Connections" Symposium in 2001
Aurora: (n) the dawn; the early period of anything. --Webster
"We are each of us Angels with only one wing,
and we can only fly embracing each other"  -Luciano De Crescenzo