< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Reply to Dr. Schott

by Louis Proyect

27 March 1999 23:27 UTC

Noplace:
>meaningful things.  Let's get back to meaningless predictions of war in
>the next millennia, or Hawai'i's place in world accumulation patterns
>since 2500 B.C.

Now wait a second here. I have launched an in-depth study of the role of
the hula dance in the burgeoning trade routes in the period 1878-1883
between Japan and California. My article on this will appear in the Journal
of World Nearly Hegemonic Systems, published by Rattlesnake University in
East Jesus, Nebraska. It is an extensively footnoted piece that focuses on
the role of Queen Mulakkahebalani. She developed the so-called dirty hula
dance, which was of such a strongly seductive nature that it disoriented
the captains of various navies in their visits to the island. It turns out
that many of these captains were strongly influenced by the Austrian
neo-Marxist Franz Pushelbletz, who believed that the capitalist stage of
development could only be accomplished by renouncing all forms of
sensuality. Pushelbletz was widely read in the American navy in particular.
He was a neo-Marxist in the sense that he was also strongly influenced by
Cotton Mather, the New England puritan brimstone-and-hellfire preacher. The
hula dance--so irrestibly sensuous--caused many of these neo-Marxist seamen
to break with their formative ideology and become permanent citizens of the
island, devoted to carnal pleasure rather than trade. Don Ho's famous
ballad "Ekahookaleina Belidaa-Rapiini" is dedicated to them.

Louis Proyect