< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Request for Suggestions for readings for a new course

by Thomas D. [Tom] Hall, THALL@DEPAUW.EDU

27 February 1999 14:45 UTC

WSNers,

This is a request for suggestions for materials to use in a course,
described below.  The problem, is that there is so much, just picking a
few itmes that will work with undergrads.  Typically, I mix texts I know
well and a couple of new ones [new to me--one way to make a dent in that
huge shelf of books--that many of us have--which I want to read
'someday'].

To save clutter on the net, send suggestions to me directly:
thall@depauw.edu

I'll compile the entire list, and by sometime in august I'll have the
course on the web.  My current course are on my web page.

In advance,

thanks for suggesions.
tom

Next fall for a visiting position I be teaching a new course
on Colonialism and Development, and I
am look for course materials suitable for 2nd and 3rd year soc/anthro
majors.  I am still designing the course, but want to have it global, and
for the most part focus on "the modern world-system."  Since I will be
doing a separate course on indigenous peoples of North American I will
have only a small segment on them.  Because the course is both SOC &
Anthro, I will, however discuss indigenous peoples elsewhere.

That said, I am looking for 4 types of materials:
Theoretical/historical overviews texts, such as:
Shannon's Intro to WS perspective
McMichaels Development and Social Change
Marc Ferro's Colonization:  A Global History

Other types of approaches:
One I will use is Albert Memmi's The colonizer and the Colonized
I'd like maybe one or two more [Fanon is obvious, but is old as Memmi]

Fictional Accounts:
One that I would like to use, but is too long in totality is the Buru
Quartet, Pramoedya Toer's 4 books on Indonesia [This Earth of Mankind,
Child of All Nations, Footsteps, and House of Glass].
My idea here is first hand accounts of colonization, preferably from
the colonizED perspective.

Clearly missing from all three are works focusing on, or emphasizing
gendered differences.

Fourth, videos [readily available] that work in classrooms.

Thomas D. [tom] Hall
thall@depauw.edu
Department of Sociology
DePauw University