< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Periodizing the world economy

by Louis Proyect

14 February 1999 15:40 UTC

I strongly urge that folks check out Ronald Meek's "Social Science and the
Ignoble Savage" which reviews efforts prior to Marx and Engels to limn the
various stages of human history. The Scottish social scientists of the 18th
century were quite fond of this activity, which has much to do with
apologetics for the domination of the British over their colonial subjects.
There are 4-stage theories, 5-stage theories, etc. which all share the
notion that hunters and gatherers are at the bottom of the evolutionary
ladder and tradesmen and industrialists at the top. By the way, Lewis
Morgan was strongly influenced by these theories and I don't have to tell
you who Morgan had a big influence one.

At 10:19 AM 2/14/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Can anyone suggest an article that reviews how different people have
>periodized the world economy and why?
>
>If not, can people suggest periodizations and the reasons for these.
>
>I can think of a few myself but I am curious about your opinions.
>
>Carl Dassbach

Louis Proyect