< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Regarding Africa -- Mende migration 3

by kpmoseley

08 February 1999 21:04 UTC

----__JNP_000_4996.7059.5391

--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kpmoseley2@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 14:59:41 EST
Subject: Fwd: What's up with the Mende "kpa mende"

----__JNP_000_4996.7059.5391

From: Alfred Samforay <asamforay@TICZ.COM>
To: leonenet@lists.umbc.edu
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 09:05:34
Subject: Re: What's up with the Mende "kpa mende"
Sender: owner-leonenet@lists.umbc.edu
	1900
	  by rly-zd04.mx.aol.com (8.8.8/8.8.5/AOL-4.0.0)
	  Thu, 4 Feb 1999 10:07:15 -0500 (EST)
	for leonenet-outgoing@lists.umbc.edu; Thu, 4 Feb 1999 09:06:11 -0500 (EST)
	Thu, 4 Feb 1999 09:04:03 -0500 (EST)

You said:

And realizing that "Koh" means "North or Top". Koh-Mende
has to be the "top Mende". And Koh Mende is considered to be spoken in
Kailahun, Kenema...

I really hate to add any confusion to this otherwise profound discussion,
but I can't help but observe that "Koh" for the Mendes is not North as you
indicated, but the East.  "Koh" is where everything starts, the head part
as in "njei wukoh" the head or beginning of the river. "Koh" is where the
sun rises in the morning, meaning the East, as you correctly identified,
that is Kenema, Kailahun, etc.  I believe the Koh-Mendes actually refer to
the Mendes of the East, who are really Mendes descending from Mandigo
settlers who entered Sierra Leone from Guinea via Liberia through Eastern
Province.  They are mostly the Kannehs, Konnehs, Moi-Kannehs and
Ma-Kannehs, and so forth.

I'm probably missing the point of this discussion (if there is a point to
it), but that's my 2 cents worth, any way.

Regards,
SMF

At 01:55 AM 2/4/99 EST, you wrote:

><< ohune,
>     To live up to my promise (although the "near future" is here already), I
>love what you wrote in terms of the differences between Koh-Mende lingo and
>the Kpa-Mende lingo. You taught me the descriptive meaning of Kpa-Mende, and
>your explanation is logically true. "Kpa" means "other, a different type" as
>in the statement "Ti gba". Therefor it is logically trues that their own
Mende
>is "another Mende". And realizing that "Koh" means "North or Top". Koh-Mende
>has to be the "top Mende". And Koh Mende is considered to be spoken in
>Kailahun, Kenema, much of Pujehun (where there are also Krim and Galinas
>Mende), and south eastern parts of Bo. Kpa-Mende is mainly spoken in Moyamba
>even though the southern parts speak Sherbro Mende.
>     So thanks for the education. And by the way, what you said in terms of
>"perceptions" when Mende is spoken (and now written), you were on the money.
>
>         Morie Toegondoe Sagba

KINEI SAAMIE SAYS: GOD IS ALL TOGETHER GOOD

----__JNP_000_4996.7059.5391--