< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Nyerere and Amerindians

by wwagar

05 February 1999 20:22 UTC

	The romanticization of so-called indigenous cultures, like all
romanticization in the service of current ideological positions, serves
neither the cause of indigenous peoples nor world well-being nor
scholarship.  It is patronizing and worse yet, it represents the
imposition of contemporary and largely Euro-Occidental perspectives,
values, and world-views on peoples who are often not contemporary and
more often not Euro-Occidental.  The desire to find all our present-day
ideals universally enshrined in world history and prehistory is humanly
understandable, but profoundly misguided and in the end counterproductive.

	Warren Wagar