< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Ecological Protest: Karura Forest Violence (fwd)

by kpmoseley

03 February 1999 19:45 UTC

WSN: Received the attached by mistake -- but it occurred to me it may be
something of an historic first: popular violence in Africa on behalf
of...trees.
	In my experience, the notion we have from Amerindian cultures, of
indigenous ideologies & practices favorable to conservation and so on,
did not hold in tropical Africa. Rather, the mindset tends to be quite
ambivalent and certainly unsentimental about "nature," and positively
hostile towards forests, the site of  both physical and ritual danger.
This no doubt reflects the relatively recent settlement of the West (and
Central?) African forests (the Pygmies aside), and the challenge such
primary forests presented  to slash-and-burn
agriculturalists.

	On ReOrient... find it a wonderful irony that it sparked further
discussion of...(Weberian) concepts of rationality!! I am currently
trying to look again at early modern Africa in light of  the revised
picture of the world economy that ReOrient helps crystallize. In this
connection, I am desperate for a copy of Barendse's "Arabian Seas." Have
misplaced the order info. from CNWS/Leiden (assume that would take a long
time in any case). Can anyone advise? 			Thanks --  kpm