< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: AGF on Holism

by Ricardo Duchesne

20 January 1999 20:57 UTC

Glad Moseley posted his account of the session on Re-Orient at the
Washington AHAs.  I was starting to wonder whether we have now
learned most, if not all, world system theory has to teach, and
whether this research program is, accordingly, in a regressive state -
I mean after four  months or so in the wsn list, I have yet to read
a single intellectually stimulating  exchange!  Let me take issue,
then, with AGF's appropriation of the concept "holism" in his recent
posting to wsn where he amends  Moseley's account. I quote AGF's words:

"AGF did of course push for WS approach on grounds that the whole
helps explain the parts. Explaining the parts within a
'scientific' framework that prioritizes ONLY or primarily  their 'unique'
'independent' factors ,apart from being scientificaly unsatisfactory,
can if carried to its logical conclusion land us up in the
politically dangerous Landes/Huntington."

It is extremely misleading, I think, to argue that world-sytem theory
(ws) looks at the whole whereas those who do national
history only look at the parts. For ws theory understands the
whole only in the geopraphical-market sense of  analyzing the
exchange connections between the different economic regions of the
world. When AGF writes in ReOrient that "the whole is not
only greater than the sum of its parts. It also shapes the parts and
their relations to each other, which in turn transform the whole"
(xxvii), he is really *reducing* the whole to the world market. And
while he acknowledges that the parts "in turn transform the whole",
it is clear he means 1) parts which have already been fundamentally
shaped by the whole, and 2) parts which are mere *economic* regions
of  a world economic market.

It is a plain contradiction to embrace holism at the very moment that
one seeks to *derive* every non-economic factor (or indeed regional
economic trends) from world-market relations. Holism and reductionism
are simply too unfriendly to ever live together. Approaching regions
in terms of their relations to the whole world should never preclude
an appreciation of the relative distinction of each part, both between and
within each part - beyond mere economic differences.

If Landes "prioritizes ONLY or primarily" independent parts,
AGF "prioritizes only or primarily"  world market relations;
relations which are just another part, external exchange relations,
a part which  should not be ignored but which nonetheless is just
another part.

Truth is that on questions of methodology and understanding of
rationality, there is little difference between AGF and Landes: both
reduce the meaning of history to rational economic action, except
that AGF has yet to provide a rational microtranslation of  his
macrosystem. Moreover both have a very narrow, incomplete
understanding of  Weber's writings on rationality - something
which AGF in particular has to be faulted with since Re-Orient is
constructed precisely as a challenge (mainly) against the Weberians.
Their basic flaw here is 1) the common one of limiting Weber's
interpretation of the rise of the West to the Protestant-capitalist
connection, and 2) the confounding of practical, formal, and
theoretical rationality.

thanks, ricardo