gunder frank Re: Asian Economic "Melt Down"

Fri, 13 Feb 1998 16:37:01 -0500 (EST)
Gunder Frank (agfrank@chass.utoronto.ca)

As I recall, i already posted something to wsn on this some time ago
the gist of which was [in ws terms] that this is the first time in recent
memory that a world recession STARTS in Asia and spreads elsewhere from
THERE, and that this implies that the WS 'center' has shifted form west to
east. the fact that there is a financial crisis and/or a real recession
does NOT mean that this is the end of the process in Asia. more lilkely
it is only the BEGINNING, and in addition it will spur the East
ASians on to 'regionalize' if not nationalize their trade and financial
circuits more to get out from under the IMF etc. and THEY -real economy
wise- probably CAN do that, which the Africans, Latin Ameriocans and
East Europeans have NOT been able to do.

How about somebody with finger on pulse coming up with some EVIDENCE
pro or contra or to revise this argument? I made it off top of my head
since i have retreated from the present real world to the past.

gunder frank
agfrank@chass.utoronto.ca

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, C. Hewitt wrote:

> Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 16:46:47 -0500
> From: "C. Hewitt" <chewitt@uga.cc.uga.edu>
> To: WORLD SYSTEMS NETWORK <wsn@csf.colorado.edu>
> Subject: Asian Economic "Melt Down"
>
> Hi,
>
> I have been following the crisis in debt repayment and currency
> devaluation occuring in the "Asian Tiger" countries and others with
> great interest mainly via Nat'l Public Radio. I would like to hear from
> anyone who is analyzing this situation--its implications for
> world-system theory (vindication), implications for global spread of
> recession, and for free-market export-led development theory. I'd like
> to correspond; I'd like information and analysis source references, both
> popular articles and research; and/or suggestions of researchers whose
> work I should check. I will return to this subject once I get a hang of
> how this list-serv is running. Thanks for your time.
>
> >From a new member,
> Cynthia M. Hewitt
> University of Georgia, Athens

Andre Gunder Frank