Re: Cuban pride

Fri, 30 Jan 1998 12:15:22 GMT
Richard K. Moore (rkmoore@iol.ie)

1/30/98, Dennis R Redmond wrote:
>Good point. An even sharper question for Cuba-philes: is there really any
>difference between the Cuban national mobilization and, say, that of the
>Singaporeans under Lee Kuan Yew?

>From what we've been learning on the list, it would seem that the primary
difference is that Cuba is democratic and Singapore is not. In fact I
can't think of another example of democracy other than Cuba. Out of that
primary difference, arise the secondary differences, such as concentration
of wealth, worker exploitation, etc. (in Singapore).

1/30/98, Salvatore Babones wrote:
>Looking at it this way, Cuba and Singapore are (were recently) both
>totalitarian - high governance / high administration.

Looking at it "this way" is sophism. You're playing with words in an
attempt to equate democracy with totalitarianism. You're simply rephrasing
the libertarian myth that any government is by definition oppression. The
only essential consequence of such double talk, other than spreading
confusion, is to advance the cause of lassez-faire corporate domination.

rkm