Re: Who needs to know what?

Thu, 29 Jan 1998 19:57:50 -0800 (PST)
Dennis R Redmond (dredmond@gladstone.uoregon.edu)

On Fri, 30 Jan 1998, William Kirk wrote:

> Overall the transition to the 'Common Market' as it was once referred to
> has been something of a disappointment.

You mention the CAP program, but I'm talking about something much larger:
transnational democracy, regulation, trade unionism and whatnot. Isn't
this why the British ruling class fought to keep the UK out of the EU for
so long? And aren't environmental laws and welfare state regulations much
tougher on the Continent than in the UK?

> I have my doubts about Greens, at the last EU election, or the one I
think in 1994
> I thought I'd find out their policy on a number of issues, many of them
> can be found in the review by
> >Arno Tausch Thu, 7 Aug 1997, and in particular, 34. - >A development,
> that is dependent to a large extent on foreign capital, is socially
> polarizing and regionally exclusive. (Inward Investment)
> After leaving my name and telephone number with the nominated
> representative he called back and over about twenty minutes we talked
> away about general points, and he asked me to write on specific issues,
> more or less what have to say about democratic 'economy' with an Aminian
> background.
> There was no immediate reply, immediate to me is anything up to about six
> weeks. I called fifteen times, leaving my name and number on the
> answering machine. The local Green was out too. No, I'm afraid this bunch
> is part of the system.
> The big inward investment at present, at a cost of £100,000 per job to
> the UK, for the Korean company Hyundai, looks as if it has gone down the
> tubes.

Huh? You lost me here. What does Major's inward investment policy have to
do with the Greens, who have fought for sustainable, autonomous forms of
self-development? And why do you paint yourself in a box here, by
complaining about some local organizer who won't answer a phone call?
The European Greens have websites, mailing lists, and publications
galore. Do a random search on any World Wide Web search engine for "Green
Party" or "Greens", and you'll find a wealth of materials and info on the
topic.

-- Dennis