Re: Media as Hegemonic Tool

Mon, 12 Jan 1998 16:10:51 +0500 (GMT+0500)
d.parthasarathy (dp@hss.iitb.ernet.in)

Current environment related movements in the third world are not just
because the population are becoming more "aware" and "conscious"
regarding the environment. Most movements arise because populations are
directly affected by the forms of economic development that are in place,
especially against large scale projects set up by the state or the
transnational corporations. Movements arise not because local populations
have been "educated"regarding environmental issues, but because they have
a direct and immediate stake in the environment, their livelihoods are
dependent on sustainable environments.

D.Parthasarathy
Dept. of Humanities and Social Sciences
Indian Institute of Technology