Re: Media as Hegemonic Tool

Tue, 6 Jan 1998 17:50:13 +0000
DR. PHUA KAI LIT (phuakl@sit.edu.my)

Is it just capitalism or is it the ideology that
continuous economic growth is a good thing?

>From all accounts, the environmental problem is
much worse in the East European nations
after years of Communist rule and
reckless disregard for the environment.

Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 01:52:36 -0500 (EST)
From: Andrew Wayne Austin <aaustin@utkux.utcc.utk.edu>
To: WORLD SYSTEMS NETWORK <wsn@csf.colorado.edu>
Subject: Re: Media as Hegemonic Tool

Chris,

On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, chris chase-dunn wrote:

> If the Chinese try to eat as much meat and eggs and drive as many cars
> as the Americans do the biosphere will fry.

Great point. And if Americans keep eating meat and eggs and driving car
like they do the biosphere will fry. The parameters of the "mainstream"
debate, however, runs from the we-can-have-growth-and-sound-ecology-too
contingent to the screw-the-ecology-let's-have-lots-o-growth contingent.
The faux-left is one of out biggest enemies here; they secure a position
to the right of them for the accumulators. We should be argue that the
main policy initiative for preserving ecosystems is the destruction of
capitalism.

Andy