[Fwd: Sorokin Conference]

Tue, 15 Dec 1998 14:19:01 -0500
christopher chase-dunn (chriscd@jhu.edu)

--------------60383B82BBEE77574BBC2828

Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 17:43:46 +0100
From: isa@sis.ucm.es (International Sociological Association)
Subject: Sorokin Conference
Apparently-to: chriscd@jhu.edu
To: chriscd@jhu.edu

To: Members of the International Sociological Association

CALL FOR PAPERS

International Symposium
Pitirim Sorokin and Sociocultural Tendencies of our Times
February 4-6, 1999
Moscow and St. Petersburg, Russia

Organized on the occasion of the 110th anniversary of the birth
of the outstanding Russian/American sociologist and social
thinker Pitirim Alexandrovich Sorokin by Russian scholarly
societies, universities and institutes. The symposium will take
place at the Russian Academy of Government Service which is a
part of the President of the Russian Federation's Office in
Moscow on February 4-5, 1999, and at St. Petersburg State
University in St. Petersburg on February 6, 1999.

At the conference we will discuss the fundamental ideas of
Sorokin's writings and how these concepts are reflected in the
development of social forces in Russia and the world community.
Suggested themes:

Pitrim Sorokin: sociologist, humanist and futurist.
Sociocultural Theories: on the way to a new paradigm.
Sociocultural dynamics and social politics in the modern world.
Social and cultural mobility: tendencies, cycles and perspectives.
Authority, law and morality.
Social sciences and moral issues of modernity.
Intelligentsia and intellectuals in the 20th Century.

We do not want the International Symposium to be limited to
discussions of just Sorokin's ideas in their modern context. We
have suggested the above themes as a guideline for the symposium
and we hope that scholars will bring their own ideas which may
be an extension of Sorokin's work to the symposium. The papers
will make the works of Sorokin available to a wider circle in
the academic community and it will generate interest within the
social science community at large.

For more information contact:
The Organizing Committee of the International Symposium
"Pitirim Sorokin and the Sociocultural Tendencies of Our Times"
Institute of Economics
International Nikolai Kondratiev Foundation
Nakhimovsky Prospect 32
117218 Moscow, Russia
Tel/fax: 7-095-1290488
Email: ikf@is1.cemi.rssi.ru