[Fwd:SSHA historical geography section

Fri, 04 Dec 1998 16:20:32 -0500
christopher chase-dunn (chriscd@jhu.edu)

--------------B3AFD4CD854D9365A5249999

Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 13:16:35 -0500 (EST)
Date-warning: Date header was inserted by WELLESLEY.EDU
From: Anne Knowles <Aknowles1@WELLESLEY.EDU>
To: chriscd@jhu.edu

Dear Chris,

Here's a copy of my more detailed notice re: next year's meeting, which
will be in Fort Worth on Nov. 11-14.

Dear All,

The 1998 SSHA conference was a real highpoint in the history of the
Geography network. We sponsored ten excellent sessions ranging from
"Geographies of Placelessness" to "Mapping By The Other". The four
sessions on the use of GIS in historical research drew audiences from every
part of the organization. We sponsored a probing session on Peter Hugill's
"World Trade Since 1431". All the sessions demonstrated the range and
richness of geographical work in social science history. Well done,
everyone!

At the network meeting (thanks to all who put up with our last-minute
rescheduling), we compiled a list of 17 potential sessions for next year,
summarized below. As Fred Shelley and I stressed at that meeting, we need
to move quickly to guarantee a strong presence in Geography at next year's
meeting, scheduled for November 11-14, 1999, in Fort Worth, Texas.

THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF SESSIONS AND PAPERS to Anne and/or Fred is
January 15, 1999. Please contact us sooner if you have any intention of
participating, or have an idea for a session, however amorphous.

Here's the list of ideas for next year's conference. Names in brackets are
members who offered to organize the session or pursue leads for organizing
it.

1. Roundtable on the Newberry Atlas of Historical County Boundaries and its
implications for social science research [John Long]

2. GIS Workshop for beginners [Fred Shelley]

3. One or more sessions on historical GIS, particularly applied case
studies, such as:
(a) The 1939 Los Angeles GIS / History on the Internet project
[Richard Healey knows about this]
(b) Denver historical GIS project
(c) Barcelona historical GIS project

4. The logic of urban sprawl [Chris Gold]

5. Field trip to UT-Arlington's map collection with David Buisseret [Anne
Knowles]

6. Reconsideration of Donald Meinig's "Imperial Texas" involving Terry
Jordan, Craig Colton [Peter Hugill, Anne Knowles]

7. Dissemination of historical data, perhaps in connection with the
Historical Atlas of Canada project and British projects [Donald Morse]

8. World-systems session on borders and/or marginal majorities, involving
Arreola [Fred Shelley, Tom Hall?]

9. Session honoring Brian Berry [Peter Hugill]

10. Book session on Jared Diamond, "Guns, Germs, and Steel" [Anne Knowles]

11. Historical geography of the book [Bertrum McDonald]

12. Southwest borderlands

13. Atlas of the Irish Famine [Paul Ell]

14. Book session on Alfred Crosby, "The Measurement of Reality"

15. Roundtable on spatial history [Anne Knowles]

Looking forward to hearing from you all, with best wishes for the coming
holidays,

Anne Knowles

Mellon Fellow in Geography
Sociology Department