Re: "Call Wal-Mart" unwise approach?

Thu, 19 Nov 1998 09:41:29 -0800 (PST)
Judi Kessler (6500jk@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu)

Just forwarding something I received - I make no judgment on its efficacy.
Best to contact those who are actually involved in the campaign.
FYI, this is my academic area of expertise - I understand your
reservations completely.
jk

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Richard Ragland wrote:

> This to me is really an unwise request from either yourself or some
> committee. It is only disruptive and intimidating.
>
> No business in their right mind would publically give out the names of
> all their suppliers. The business opposition like vultures would
> destroy the company in a matter of days. Wal-Mart would come to an
> end. You put them in a lose-lose situation !
>
> If you want to accomplish the same goal, rather through your
> intelligencia determine which companies use child labour/sweat shop
> production methods and who they sell to. Then politely inform the
> company(s) they sell to that they will have to stop buying from "xyz"
> company, failing which, you then lead a public campaign against them.
>
> There also should be a representative of concerned citizens working
> with Wal Mart on this issue, not someone trying to lead public emotion
> with a "let's overthrow the regime" attititude. This is very
> unprofessional.
>
> Why is this group picking on Wal-Mart anyway? What about all the
> other department stores in the US? It sounds to me as if the
> opposition is behind this one already ! !
>
> Just my opinion folks !
>
> Rick

> Hi folks! Please forward this to other organizations and individuals
> who
> may want to participate (and pardon any cross-postings). - Dale
>
> Please contact Wal-Mart this Friday, November 20, and ask them to
> release a
> list (including addresses) of all their supplying factories worldwide.
> This is a national call-in day for the 1998 Holiday Season of
> Conscience to
> End Sweatshops and Child Labor.
>
> Contact info: 1-800-WAL-MART (1-800-925-6278) or 501-273-4000
> E-mail cserve@walmart.com
> Fax 501-273-4894 (caveat: last month they had their fax
> disconnected)
>
> What this campaign is NOT:
> * It is NOT a boycott
> * It is NOT an effort to have Wal-Mart "buy American"
>
> What this campaign IS:
> * An effort to make Wal-Mart accountable to us - the consumers of
> these products - and to make Wal-Mart's own Code of Conduct
> independently verifiable
> * An effort to promote a LIVING WAGE for workers in the Third World
> and
> in the US - an effort to stop US and overseas workers from being
> pitted
> against each other by RAISING the wages and conditions of THIRD
> WORLD
> and US sweatshop workers
> * An effort to create a space in which workers can empower themselves
> - "Employment yes, but ... with dignity!"
>
> The goal of the 1998 Season of Conscience (the People's Right to Know
> Campaign) is to press Wal-Mart to release the list of all its
> suppliers
> worldwide, so that human rights and religious groups can begin to
> check
> [...]

Judi A. Kessler
Department of Sociology
University of California, Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA 93106
Office:
Institute for Social, Behavioral & Economic Research
(805) 893-5427
6500jk@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu