Re: Debt relief for Nicaragua

Mon, 16 Nov 1998 15:56:46 -0800
kpmoseley@juno.com

Does anone have a handy list of congressmen's names and (email)addresses?
Would appreciate your copying it to me (and others to whom it might also
be of use).
Thanks in advance -- Kay Moseley

On Sun, 15 Nov 1998 00:49:35 -0500 (EST) Peter Grimes <p34d3611@jhu.edu>
writes:
>Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 11:01:29
>From: Njoki Njoroge Njehu <wb50years@igc.apc.org>
>Subject: Sign-on for Central America Debt Cancellation
>
>RESPOND TO: <naimanr@preamble.org>
>

>Support Immediate Debt Cancellation for Honduras and Nicaragua in
>the Wake of Hurricane Mitch
>
>To:
>Members of the United States Congress
>Robert Rubin, Secretary of the Treasury
>Michel Camdessus, Managing Director, International Monetary Fund
>James Wolfenson, President, World Bank Group
>
>With Hurricane Mitch, Honduras and Nicaragua, two of the poorest
>and most indebted countries in Latin America, have been hit by
>what may be the worst disaster they have ever faced. In response
>to the humanitarian emergency, we call for the immediate and
>unconditional cancellation of the external debt repayment
>obligations of both countries, and substantial debt reduction for
>El Salvador and Guatemala, both also severely affected by the
>hurricane. The disaster has removed the ability of these
>countries to repay external debt. All available resources should
>be used address to the needs of the population in this crisis.
>Recent press reports indicate that the reconstruction effort
>will cost billions and take many years.
>
>Both Honduras and Nicaragua, as heavily indebted poor countries,
>were supposed be eligible to receive relief on their debt
>obligations in the future in return for complying with IMF
>"structural adjustment" economic policies. But debt cancellation
>should be immediate and unconditional so the countries can use
>their limited resources for rebuilding their social and physical
>infrastructure rather than diverting resources to export
>promotion. The devastation caused by the hurricane is making any
>delay immoral and inhuman. Honduras and Nicaragua are among the
>poorest countries in Latin America, with a per capita GDP of
>less than $700. In both countries, the burden of foreign debt
>service and structural adjustment has weakened the social
>infrastructure and contributed to the toll of the disaster. The
>health and education system in both countries has been in a poor
>state for more than ten years. A major cause is that more money
>has been spent on servicing debt than on health or education. In
>1997, Honduras spent over $410 million on debt service while
>allocating only $16 million for the purchase of medical
>equipment now so urgently needed. In 1996 debt service was 80%
>of government revenue. Nicaragua is not doing much better, with
>51% of government revenue used for foreign debt service. Total
>debt service for Nicaragua was $221 million in 1996. In 1998,
>international creditors expect debt service payments of $450
>million from Honduras and $300 million from Nicaragua, over $2
>million each day.
>
>Debts to international financial institutions, including the
>Inter-American Development Bank, should be canceled immediately.
> [...]

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]