Re: Orangeism

Thu, 16 Jul 1998 00:45:32 PDT
John Stevens (stormrhymer@hotmail.com)

Lovely revolutionary sentiment, Rebecca, but one that I think ignores
the political realities of day-to-day life in the Six Counties. Even
*this* moderate response on the part of Sinn Fein led to firebombings
that killed three young boys who had nothing to do with what was going
on. The Orangemen's response was even more reprehensible; to march
*anyway* to the beat of a single drum. Anyway, I doubt the parents of
those boys (who don't sound very sectarian to me, which probably made
them more attractive targets) would be much consoled by a strident call
to revolution.

Sinn Fein's reaction is certainly not revolutionary, and perhaps does
play into sectarianism, but I can't fault them much given their
position. Look at how frequently Sinn Fein and other Republican parties
and factions get marginalized, stereotyped, and excluded. Look how hard
it was for them to even get to the table during the peace talks. Look
at the whole history of revolution in Ireland! Perhaps the failures and
stuttered gains were caused by them not "doing it right," and I agree
with out that it's vitally important to think about how to devise
strategies from within the context, but in the end your notion of proper
revolution is more of an overlay of a particular rhetoric and ideology
from without. Don't think that such organizing is or has not occured,
and don't lay all the blame on Orangeman or Sinn Fein.

Finally, regarding "reinforcing Orangeism." Orangeism will not be
destroyed only by "universal opposition" of a type which has been proven
to only make the Orangemen even more reactionary and stubborn. The
question is not just how to "conscientize the local masses," but how to
conscientize local cultural groups and constituencies with such opposing
views of history, political salience, and national affiliation. You
need to not only conscientize, say, residents of Portadown or Garvaghy
Road, but also the Orangemen and their supporters, and those who just
stand by and watch, and those outside of the Six Counties who benefit
from these conflicts.

Best regards,

John Stevens
Dept. of Anthropology
Cornell University

>Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 16:42:20 +0100
>From: "Rebecca Peoples" <wellsfargo@tinet.ie>
>To: WORLD SYSTEMS NETWORK <wsn@csf.colorado.edu>
>Subject: Orangeism
>
>Hi Comrades
>
>There has been much controversy surrounding the question of the Orange
>parades marching down roads such as the Garvaghy Road in Portadown,
Ireland.

>The view of Sinn Fein, Michael Farrell, co-chairperson of the civil
rights
>association, is that it is valid for these parades in general to
proceed
>once the local residents dont object to them. This position is one that
>obscures the real nature of Orangeism in the North of Ireland.
>
>The point is that Orangeism and its parades are of a cultural,
ideological
>and politically reactionary character. Consequently they are opposed by
all
>revolutionary communists. However that does not mean that communists
simply
>take to the streets opposing such marches whether the march proceeds
down a
>staunchly Orange area or non-Orange community. Practical opposition is
>tactical matter and must be considered in context such as the kind of
>support that exists on the ground among the local masses. As a tactical
>matter how the practical opposition is to be organised and under what
>slogans are vitally important. As of present much of the Sinn Fein and
>Garvagy/Omeau form of organising against marching has an opportunist
>character which rather than attempting to raise political consciousness
>reinforces sectarianism even further.
>
>However communists can engage in propaganda against such marching at
any
>time.
>
>To conclude: The view of Sinn Fein and others seems to be that that
Organism
>has a civil and democratic right to march, but not through areas where
the
>marches are found to be offensive to the local community. This position
>reinforces the existence of Orangeism and its parades and essentially
>undermines the call for an end to Orange parades down Garvaghy and
other
>areas.
>The issue of civil rights and democracy in this context is an illusory
one
>that merely obscures the real state of affairs. The point is that
Orangeism