[Fwd: call for papers]

Tue, 09 Jun 1998 10:51:13 -0400
christopher chase-dunn (chriscd@jhu.edu)

--------------0C799C57694FE491A576D34A

Mon, 08 Jun 1998 14:39:00 -0400 (EDT)
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 14:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: Roberto_P_KORZENIEWICZ@umail.umd.edu (rk81)
Subject: call for papers
To: chriscd@jhu.edu

Dear Chris:

Can you post this message in the WS list?

Thanks,

Patricio

Call for Papers: PEWS 1999
Political Economy of the World-System XXIII Annual Conference

INEQUALITY AND SOCIAL MOVEMENTS

The twenty-third annual conference of the Political Economy of the
World-System Section of the American Sociological Association will take
place March 26-27, 1999 on the campus of the University of Maryland, College
Park.

In anticipation of the two plenary PEWS conferences to come in the years
2000 and 2001, we are interested in examining two pivotal issues in
world-systems analysis from an inter-disciplinary perspective. Inequality
and social movements have not only motivated many of us to work with a
world-systems approach, but they have provided the substance of our work as
well. They form two of the central concepts guiding the formation of
world-systems analysis. At the same time, they point to two of the issues
most contested across disciplinary boundaries. We hope to elicit an
interdisciplinary discussion around the ways in which contestation over the
centrality or limitations of these issues can inform world-systems analysis.

*Inequality has been central to the development of world-system analysis as
both constituting an object of knowledge and as a set of conceptual
parameters for studying large-scale, long-term social change. What have we
learned about (a) changes in patterns of inequality in the modern
world-system; and (b) theoretical/methodological advantages of using a
world-historical perspective in studying these patterns of large-scale,
long-term social change?

*Inequality has been linked to the development of social movements, and
social movements are in turn central to our understanding of opposition and
anti-systemic agency. What are some of the most salient contemporary
features of these processes? What are the theoretical/ methodological
advantages of using a world-historical perspective in studying patterns of
opposition?

*Recently, power has come to the fore as occupying an important axis around
which social differences are constructed and challenged. The relationship
between power and inequality has also been a topic of debate within
world-systems analysis. What are the limits to the study of inequality? Is
power a more inclusive analytical category? Is inequality an indicator of
power?

*We are interested in exploring areas of contention/intersection with other
theoretical perspectives on social difference and social movements, and in
analyzing how different perspectives produce knowledge(s) useful as so many
strategic interventions into multiple locations of power and anti-systemic
agency. For example, in what ways do post-colonial, postmodern, feminist,
and cultural studies enhance our understanding of world-systemic processes
and challenge the centrality of inequality to the study of the modern
world-system? What are some of the similarities and differences in their
approach to the study of, for example, hegemony?

*Social movement entails a set of assumptions about how we know social
change when we see it. New perspectives on power and social difference
often rattle existing understandings of anti-systemic agency. In what
ways? This set of questions has been reduced in the past to a debate
between materialist and ideological/cultural positions. How can we best
analyze such debates as artifacts of world-historical processes? Are there
alternative ways of posing these questions that suggest innovations in the
study of long-term, large-scale social change?

We will provide lodging and some meals for conference participants.
Selected papers from the conference will be published in the annual series
edited through Greenwood Press. THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS OF PAPERS OR
DETAILED ABSTRACTS IS DECEMBER 15, 1998. Please submit materials to either
Nancy Forsythe (af55@umail.umd.edu) or Roberto Patricio Korzeniewicz
(rk81@umail.umd.edu), Department of Sociology, University of Maryland,
College Park, Maryland, USA, 20742.

Roberto Patricio KORZENIEWICZ