Re: PLEASE...

Sun, 3 May 1998 18:25:15 -0400 (EDT)
Andrew Wayne Austin (aaustin@utkux.utcc.utk.edu)

On Sun, 3 May 1998, Dennis R Redmond wrote:

> On Sun, 3 May 1998, Judi Kessler wrote:
>
> > ...Here comes the "euro" - Now is the opportunity to generate some great
> > 1998, down-to-earth, concrete, political-economy discussion.
>
> Well, for starters, it helps to remember that the euro is just the most
> obvious and leading-edge symptom of the EU's emergence as a global
> superpower (and, conversely, the decline of the US to an ex-hegemon).

Ex-hegemon in what sense? The sense that we have shifted from imperialism
and neoimperialist domination to hegemonic domination via polyarchy is
really only a change in formal tactic. But there is a deeper implication.
US machinery is the weapon for global capitalism, America coming to play
this role with the Americanization of the world economy, or put otherwise
the globalization of Americanism (major facet of the dialectic of current
world-history). In this sense the US has not declined at all but has
increased its hegemonic power, through the spread of culture-ideology,
particular economic structurings and political model of elite rule. The
sphere of influence of the Americanized global bourgeoisie is being
totalized as capital is becoming deterritorialized. Americanism is an
organic phenomenon. The nation-state is the face on capital, and to the
extent that capital eclipses its own front by transnationalization then
one may speak of the US hegemon declining. But to speak of other such
fronts eclipsing the US hegemon is to miss this central issue. A
restatement of the problem is in order.

Andy