Re: interpersonal and intercultural communication

Thu, 18 Dec 1997 12:01:41 -0500 (EST)
ba05105@binghamton.edu

Terry's and Juan's comments strike me as an improvement in the level of
debate. A few notes. It is important to not reify the 'powerful' as
corporations, states, etc. Classes and various subaltern groups can also
become powerful, and, before being incorporated into the system, are
likely to modify 'hegemonic ideologies.' I don't quite follow sectioning
off basic needs. Image making and creating needs are central processes of
most of the largest corporations in the US--think of Microsoft, or NIke,
or McDonald's. convincing people that they need these particular products
and brands is not simply responding to out-there needs, but is a process
of image building/manipulation/communication etc. The system gets its
salience through the ability to dominate/integrate other cultures, not
through its ability to 'go below them' to the level of basic needs. Now
that the system seems to be loosing its capacity to do so, creating a
'clash of civilizations' both across space (Islam, for example, vs. the
West) and within countries (the revolts of national minorities,
indigeneous people, women, and so forth) it can be said to be in crisis.

Steve Sherman Binghamton