CFP: Environmental Politics, Geography and the Left

Tue, 16 Dec 1997 16:17:03 -0600, MDT
J B Owens (OWENJACK@FS.isu.edu)

For those who haven't already seen the message.
Cheers,
Jack Owens <owenjack@isu.edu>

Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 14:15:49 -0800
From: Ken Pomeranz <klpomera@uci.edu>
Subject: CFP: Environmental Politics, Geography and the Left
To: Multiple recipients of list H-WORLD <H-WORLD@H-NET.MSU.EDU>

CALL FOR PAPERS

Environmental Politics, Geography, and the Left

The Radical History Review is currently soliciting articles and essays
for a thematic volume on "Environmental Politics, Geography, and the
Left." We would welcome articles that examine the history of formal
environmental politics, ideologies and movements. These articles
might deal with the following kinds of questions: What, historically,
has been the relationship between the environmental movement and left
politics? Between the environmental movement and other oppositional
movements such as feminism, racial politics, urban reform, and
consumer politics? In addition to essays which explore the history,
culture, and beliefs of the formal environmental movement
internationally and in the U.S., we would also welcome articles which
deal with aspects of social geography, space, and the built
environment. These essays might include explorations of the
dminishing concept of the public sphere, or the historical--and
contemporary--relationship between changes in the economy, such as
"globalization," and transformations in the organization of space.

We also seek essays which examine the relationship between geography
and the formal politics of environmentalism. These essays, ideally,
might trouble our sense of what the basic category of "environmental
politics" has historically included and excluded: Why, when and how
does a problem get categorized or counted as "environmental"? How do
changes in "artificial" environments relate to the formal movements
described by the terms "environmental politics" and
"environmentalism"--aimed at controlling space, the use of resources,
the definition of public and private domain, and the social effects of
problems such as industrial pollution? How do "resources" get named
and classified, how have things such as forests, historically, been
converted from natural spaces into commodities and, on occasion, back
into "natural resources"?

Radical History Review especially invites submisssions that
investigate non-U.S./non-Western contexts, and those essays that
reflect on the relationship between contemporary and historical
environmental themes.

Please send submissions to Managing Editor, Radical History Review,
Tamiment Library, 70 Washington Square South, New York, NY 10012.

Inquiries to Pamela Haag, haagp@mail.aauw.org, or to the RHR office at
(212) 998-2632.

SUBMISSION DEADLINE: February 15, 1998