RE: w-systems & worldviews

Fri, 12 Dec 1997 21:11:28 +0800
Elson E. Boles (eeb@hknet.com)

Replies to the following two items:

> We can analyze world dynamics, but the extreme
> cognitive differences between cultures of different root
demand us to
> increase the complexity of our models, in order to face the
REAL
> complexity of the reality that we want to analyze.
>Meanwhile, I think
> that we must reduce the level, the range of our model, so that
we will
> be able to describe the dynamic from the meanings of each
cultural
> group.

One approach to this, if one is studying social history or
anthropology, is to move within one's analysis from global scale
processes (or the model) to the local face of these processes
where
historical specificity, agency, language, culture etc., can be
examined and give historical content to the static model. It's
a bit like fusing Sahlin's "structure of the conjuncture" with
Braudel's "conjonture of the structure."

>Of course, the final goal must be the construction of a
universal
> model, but we cannot do it unless we consider the cultural
difference
> and the way it affect the infraestructural phenomena.

Can't say I agree. We don't need universal models. But we need
more people outside academia who share a critical perspective
and are willing to sacrifice their "material interests" for
"genuine peace of mind." Or is really this simple? Steve
wrote:

>Is it in my interest to have the
> weekend off or to accumulate an extra 150$ a week? Is it in
my interest
> to exploit other people to enhance my comfort, or to develop
meaningful,
> communicative relationships which will allow for genuine peace
of mind.

A tricky and perennial problem. One cannot achieve
peace of mind without some material security. Should the poor
be content? Surely Steve doesn't mean that. Perhaps he'd agree
that it is more fruitful to focus on the existing inequalities
and hard conditions faced by the billions of poor rather than
suggest that people will be happier with communicative
relationships.

Here in Hong Kong I see some small fraction of the poor everyday
-- migrant workers from southern China or the Philippines --
along with ruthless entrepreneurs in their Rolls, and
middle-class hopefuls who are absolutely convinced that climbing
the latter over the next guy is their only chance for "peace of
mind." In each group some are happy some aren't. But most of
the workers look more worn out, tired, and aged. Yet they also
seem to have making money on their mind.

elson
(formerly) SUNY Binghamton, New York
eeb@HKnet.com