Re: Asia's crisis

Sat, 22 Nov 1997 11:10:33 -0500 ()
Richard Tardanico (tardanic@fiu.edu)

A lot of discussion on the SE/East Asian "meltdown" appears on the IPE
site. E.g., Henwood and others have speculated on the possible
long-range significance of the concurrence of Asian financial crisis,
Clinton's "fast track" setback, and the weakness of the U.S.'s
coalitional position re Iraq. I too have found curious the absence of
WSN discussion on the Asian financial situation, as well as on these other
and related issues. Among other things, comparisons/contrasts with
financial/economic crisis and restructuring in Latin America would seem
important. There are obvious contrasts--at least pertaining to the
strongest of the East Asian countries in terms of state organizational
capacities and economic infrastructure. Even so, there are
obvious new questions about the limitations of the East Asian "model"
and the economic, social, and political ramifications, not only for Asia's
tigers and cubs but for Latin America, Africa, and the rest of us.

I look forward to seeing discussion of these and related issues.

Rick Tardanico