Re: Russia & world capitalism

Mon, 6 Oct 1997 14:41:50 +0300
Andrey Korotayev (andrei@rsuh.ru)

> Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 11:28:38 -0600 (NSK)
> From: "Nikolai S. Rozov" <ROZOV@cnit.nsu.ru>

> Andrey:
>
> > Actually, I find THIS the only
> > REALLY serious problem of the present-day Russia.
> >

> dear Andrey, here i strongly disagree with you, i see at least two huge
> problems not less serious than the one discussed above
> first, it is non-involveness of majority of Russian population
> (except Moscow and few cites) into niches of modern world economy, that still
> causes mass support of communism and of expansionist extremism (Jirinovski,
> fascists, etc)
> second, inertia of raw materials export combined with clear tendency of
> world-capitalist elits (with IMF as an instrument) to develop mainly (only?)
> getting industries in post-Soviet Russia
>
> best
> Nikolai

I cannot say that Nikolay has persuaded me. With respect to his two
problems at least the solutions are more or less clear. With respect
to the second problem there is already a rather significant progress
being made: this year against the background of general 1.8% growth
in the Russian industry we have 13% growth in the car manufacturing;
and all the other fastest growing industries are not the raw material
ones, but rather the chemical industry, metallurgy and metal
processing, production of machinery, paper &c.

With respect to the organized crime I do not see any such clear
solutions - I do not think just the change of the fiscal policy,
improvement of the Russian legal system &c will solve this problem
radically (though this could make it less acute).

Yours,

Andrey