Re: System change (responding to Moore and Wagar)

Fri, 3 Oct 1997 17:06:46 -0400 (EDT)
wwagar@binghamton.edu

On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Richard N Hutchinson wrote:

> RKM-
>
> You make an excellent point about the necessity to think in terms of
> evolutionary process rather than apocalyptic scenarios. I agree that the
> crew currently piloting the planet are way ahead of most of their
> erstwhile opponents in understanding and acting on this insight.

Yes, because evolution is their game, evolution from partial
domination and exploitation of the world's peoples and resources to total
domination and exploitation. Why would they have any interest in
apocalypses?

> With regard to Warren Wagar's recent proposal, I'm afraid the problem is
> that he proposes a blueprint, when what is needed is a plan. It is
> a question of process as opposed to ideal depiction of an outcome. The
> resistance to the capitalist world-system will arise from below
> (including intellectuals of course) and take on forms that we cannot
> currently envision. In the meantime, Samir Amin and others play an
> invaluable role in specifying the continuing conditions for popular
> resistance and revolution. But in terms of the transition to a different
> system, Wagar's proposal sounds too much like a utopian novel.

Maybe that's because it IS a utopian novel--or at least based on a
utopian novel that I wrote myself, A SHORT HISTORY OF THE FUTURE. We need
blueprints as well as plans, goals as well as strategies, faith as well as
works.
In any event, there is a plan embedded in the blueprint, a plan
for world-revolutionary action spearheaded by a World Party or some other
genuinely antisystemic movement or movements with global scope and
membership. The point of my original post was that most so-called
antisystemic movements play into the hands of the crew currently piloting
our planet, and that we can and must do better.

Cheers,

Warren