CFP: International Anthropological Conference, Moscow

Tue, 23 Sep 1997 13:10:56 +0300
Andrey Korotayev (andrei@rsuh.ru)

> Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 03:05:47 MDT
> From: Comm for a Sustainable Future <listproc@csf.colorado.edu>
> To: andrei@rsuh.ru
> Subject: SUBSCRIBE WSN Andrey Korotayev

> Welcome to list WSN (wsn@csf.colorado.edu). The system has recorded
> your address as
>
> andrei@rsuh.ru
>
> and it is required that you send your postings from that address, unless
> the list does not require subscription for posting.
>
> The list's owners are chriscd@jhu.edu .
>
> You should contact them if there are any problems.
>
> Please do not send requests to this list; instead direct them to:
>
> listproc@csf.colorado.edu
>

> To get more information on how to use this service, please send the command
> HELP in a line by itself in a mail message to listproc@csf.colorado.edu.
>
> To signoff from the list, email to listproc@csf.colorado.edu with the following request:
>
> signoff WSN
> or
> unsubscribe WSN
>
> Welcome to WSN, the world-systems network. We also have an electronic
> archive at csf.colorado.edu called wsystems which contains
> announcements, newsletters, biographical info about list members,
> bibliographies, papers, and etc. Please use this resource and
> contribute material of your own. For more information contact
> Chase-Dunn [chriscd@jhuvm.hcf.jhu.edu] or
> Peter Grimes [p34d3611@jhuvm.hcf.jhu.edu].
>
> Messages to subscribers of the wsn list should be sent to
> WSN@csf.colorado.edu
> Messages to subscribe or unsubscribe to the list should be sent to
> LISTSERV@csf.colorado.edu

CALL FOR PAPERS

INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE
"HUMAN DIMENSION IN THE CULTURES
OF THE EAST AND THE WEST:
INTERDISCIPLINARY APPROACH"
Moscow, Russia
31 May - 3 June 1998

The Convenor:
Gregory TKACHENKO, Director of the Institute of Cultural
Anthropology
Conference Secretary:
Olga KHRISTOFOROVA,
Russian State University for the Humanities
6 Miusskaya Ploshchad (Korpus 2, Etazh 2)
Moscow 125267
RUSSIA
FAX: +7 (095) 250 5109 (c/o Institute of Cultural
Anthropology)
EMAIL: andrei@rsuh.ru

The Institute of Cultural Anthropology (Russian State
University of Humanities, Moscow) is organizing in
May/June 1998 International Conference "HUMAN DIMENSION
IN TRADITIONAL CULTURES OF EAST AND WEST:
INTERDISCIPLINARY APPROACH".

The Institute of Cultural Anthropology (InCA) has been
established in 1997 as a reserch and teaching institution
within the framework of the Russian State University for
the Humanities in order to coordinate the efforts of
those scholars and teachers whose professional interests
are connected with the study of the peoples and their
activities (Cultural Anthropology, Linguistics,
Museology, Religion Studies, Arts &c). Its aim is to
provide conditions for the formation of a new education
environment.

One of the Conference objectives is to provide the
possibility of the information exchange among the
anthropologists, the coordination of the research
projects and the discussion of the recent trends in
Anthropology in order to optimize the research and
teaching activities of the anthropological
institutions.

The Program Committee welcomes proposals on all topics
but is
particularly interested in proposals that address one of
the
following THEMES:

1) "Cultural Universals":
- it is possible that notwithstanding all the diversity
of the cultural codes any tradition has a limited set of
the immanent terms ("cultural meanings", key concepts
&c) which form its conceptual space: "ultimate contexts"
of culture, moral values &c. Is there any sense in the
attempts to define the list and contents of culture
terms ("cultural meanings")? Could such attempts lead to
the discovery of the foundations for the cultures
typologization or to the discovery of their absence?

2) "Culturally Determined Behaviour Patterns":
- in the past the reconsideration of the problem of the
human agency and autonomy often led in the European
tradition to the interpretation of the non-European
cultural agents and selves as "quasi-" (- personality, -
rationality, - subjectivity) &c. Is the multiculturalism
possible in the environment of the remaining latent
europocentrism of the studies in Cultural Anthropology?

3) "Symbolical Representation Systems":
- what is the impact on the cultural message of the media
of its translation? Historical systems of semiotic codes
(from the knot writing to the WWW): contextual coherence,
or contextual freedom?

In addition to the three plenary sections we are planning
to organize a few panels ("Teaching of Anthropology",
"Socio- Cultural Evolution: Anthropological Approach",
"Anthropology of South Arabia", "Pre-colonial Tropical
African Anthropology: Genesis of the Complex Political
Organization" &c). Any new panel proposals are strongly
invited.

Fax or e-mail proposals for panels (or single
submissions) and a
short vita for each participant to:

Gregory TKACHENKO, Director
Olga KHRISTOFOROVA, Learnt Secretary
Institute of Cultural Anthropology (InCA)
Russian State University for the Humanities
6 Miusskaya Ploshchad (Korpus 2, Etazh 2)
Moscow 125267
RUSSIA
FAX: +7 (095) 250 5109 (c/o Institute of Cultural
Anthropology)
EMAIL: andrei@rsuh.ru

THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF PROPOSALS
IS 1 JANUARY 1997.