CFP: Radical History Review

Mon, 21 Jul 1997 15:39:45 -0600, MDT
J B Owens (OWENJACK@FS.isu.edu)

Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 17:21:30 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: owner-emjnet@lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
From: "Philip C. Brown" <brown.113@osu.edu>
To: j-edit@h-net2.h-net.msu.edu, emjnet@lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Subject: Call for Papers: Radical History Review

CALL FOR PAPERS

Environmental Politics, Geography, and the Left

The Radical History Review is currently soliciting articles and
essays for a thematic volume on "Environmental Politics,
Geography, and the Left." We would welcome articles that
examine the history of formal environmental politics, ideologies,
and movements. These articles might deal with the following
kinds of questions: What, historically, has been the
relationship between the environmental movement and left
politics? Between the environmental movement and other
oppositional movements such as feminism, racial politics, urban
reform, and consumer politics? In addition to essays which
explore the history, culture, and beliefs of the formal
environmental movement internationally and in the U.S., we would
also welcome articles which deal with aspects of social
geography, space, and the built environment. These essays might
include explorations of the diminishing concept of the public
sphere, or the historical--and contemporary--relationship between
changes in the economy, such as "globalization," and
transformations in the organization of space.

We also seek essays which examine the relationship between
geography and the formal politics of environmentalism. These
essays, ideally, might trouble our sense of what the basic
category of "environmental politics" has historically included
and excluded: Why, when, and how does a problem get categorized
or counted as "environmental"? How do changes in "artificial"
environments relate to the formal movements described by the
terms "environmental politics" and "environmentalism"--movements
aimed at controlling space, the use of resources, the definition
of public and private domain, and the social effects of problems
such as industrial pollution? How do "resources" get named and
classified, and how have things such as forests been converted
from natural spaces into commodities and, on occasion, back into
"natural resources"?

Radical History Review especially invites submisssions that
investigate non-U.S./non-Western contexts, and those essays that
reflect on the relationship between contemporary and historical
environmental themes.

Please send submissions to Managing Editor, Radical History
Review, Tamiment Library, 70 Washington Square South, New York,
NY 10012.

Inquiries to Pamela Haag, haagp@mail.aauw.org, or to the RHR
office at (212) 998-2632.

Submission Deadline: January 15, 1998