[Fwd: Estrategia Online]

Wed, 16 Jul 1997 09:29:55 -0400
christopher chase-dunn (chriscd@jhu.edu)

chriscd@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu; Tue, 15 Jul 1997 13:48:46 -0400 (EDT)
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 12:14:10 -0400
From: pnet@tid.com
Subject: Estrategia Online
To: CHRISCD@JHU.EDU

ESTRATEGIA ONLINE

http://www.ieei.pt/estrategia

Published by the IEEI Institute for Strategic and International Studi=
es
in Lisbon, Estrategia is an independent journal of international
affairs, security and defence. With a multidisciplinary approach, it
covers all issues relevant to peace and security, both at the inter a=
nd
intrastate level, in today's world: public opinion, political, econom=
ic,
cultural and social affairs, conflict and transition, integration and
democratisation.=20

Estrategia Online: Full texts are given in the online edition (issue =
no.
12 onwards). An international on-line edition containing all abstract=
and a selection of articles in English or French will be available so=
on.
Organised in thematic issues, the current issue is on the revision of
the Maastricht Treaty, with articles devoted both to the IGC and to
present questions of the European debate. Search in full text, Archiv=
with the table of contents of the previous issues and Links to other
publications are already available.

A section for papers and comments on the articles and subjects of eac=
issue will also be available.

Estrategia's main subjects:
Peace and International Security. Portuguese foreign, security and
defence policy. Regional integration and multi-regionalism. Transitio=
and Democracy.
Geographical focus:=20
Europe. Mediterranean and Northern Africa, Sub-saharian Africa, Latin
America and North America, Southeast Asia

International Online Edition
Table of Contents (articles in English and French)=20

The Political Dimension of the Process of European Integration
Gianni Bonvicini
http://www.ieei.pt/estrategia/news/artigos.asp?cod_artigo=3D55

As usual in times of transformation, we are living in a state of cris=
is
or of "Europessimism", if we prefer to adopt "Eurocratic" jargon. A
clear need to adapt EU institutions has again emerged. But the strate=
gy
to be followed is far from being clear. And again we have to turn bac=
to our past experiences. In other words, and in opposition to Fukujam=
theories, "history continues", at least at the European Union's level=
..

On the Revision of Maastricht: A Common Report
Gianni Bonvicini, Jean-Victor Louis, =C1lvaro Vasconcelos, Wolfgang
Wessels
http://www.ieei.pt/estrategia/news/artigos.asp?cod_artigo=3D57

If current challenges in Europe and abroad are to be faced, an overal=
institutional reform is needed to satisfy the demands for democracy,
efficiency and effectiveness.

Unity within Diversity - CFSP and Institutional Reform
=C1lvaro de Vasconcelos
http://www.ieei.pt/estrategia/news/artigos.asp?cod_artigo=3D72

External factors should prevail over internal and institutional
considerations in reforming CFSP. When conflicting trends towards
fragmentation and intolerance coexist with integration and democracy,
CFSP reform should contribute to tilt the balance in favour of the
latter.

France, Europe, OTAN: la nouvelle politique de d=E9fense fran=E7aise=
=20
Nicole Gnesotto=20
http://www.ieei.pt/estrategia/news/artigos.asp?cod_artigo=3D113

La d=E9fense europ=E9enne se r=E9duit-elle =E0 une r=E9forme interne =
=E0 l'OTAN, et
cette r=E9forme modifie-t-elle la nature de la construction europ=
=E9enne? La
r=E9forme de l'OTAN =E9puise-t-elle la question d'une d=E9fense europ=
=E9enne
commune?

For further information, please contact: ieeimjs@mail.telepac.pt